Thursday, February 08, 2007

Sadness and Gratitude

She was only 39 and had two young children when she succumbed to breast cancer last weekend. A beloved wife, and an ex-Olympic athlete with a shining professional career.

Yesterday I was at her funeral. The baby sister of my oldest friend.
Her family, friends and work colleagues overflowed the large church, so the rector had to open the doors to the side chapel as well. The bitter, barren Ottawa winter day was a shock as I left the church. Inside it had been stifling with love and heartbreak. My heart ached for my dear old friend. Later, as I few home, I thought I could not bear to lose my own little sister.

By unhappy coincidence, just before I had left to fly back east for the funeral, my mother told me of another untimely death from cancer the same day: a family friend. She was the mother of someone I know, who is also a member of the blogging community. She wrote touchingly of her mother's death here.

There is no fairness or sense in such sad deaths. But for me there is a light shining through the sorrow of the last few days: I am reminded what a precious gift it is that my little sister and my parents are, well, here and healthy today. And to be grateful for that each new day.

Mom, Dad, Sis, I love you.

6 comments:

Alda said...

My sentiments exactly, Jane. Thank you.

Voyager said...

Alda, how you wrote so beautifully at such a sad time was awe inspiring. My thoughts are with you and your family. Please take care.
Jane

Lee Ann aka Dixie said...

I found you through Empress Bee's blog and I absolutely love it. What a beautiful post. I will be back and I'm going to link you, if you don't mind.

Dixie

Voyager said...

Welcome Dixie, thanks for dropping in, and for the kind words. One of the joys of blogging is the connections with people you get through comments.
I too have been a single Mom, and like you, have now found The One. I hope we chat more.
V.

Diana said...

No, there is no fairness in the loss of life before one's time. There is only the missing and the drawing close to those who loved them, too.

Voyager said...

Thanks for the lovely thought Diana.
V.